Examine the Soviet propaganda posters on this page and answer the following questions.
- What were the primary Soviet critiques of the United States, and what symbols did these posters use to communicate them?
- Do you find any of this criticism of the United States convincing?
- Is there value in studying a rival’s propaganda against your own country?
- Is there danger in studying a rival’s propaganda against your own country?
- Propaganda like this shaped the Soviet people’s view of the United States. Imagine you are an American – how would you explain the criticisms leveled in these posters to a Soviet citizen?
- Often, the qualities we criticize in others reveal something about how we see ourselves. What do Soviet criticisms about the United States reveal about their own national self-image?